Choosing a wedding theme can be stressful. You want the wedding day to be memorable, but you don’t know which theme you want.Choosing a theme is essential to wedding planning, because this step involves choosing the colors, decorations, bridesmaids dresses, wedding favors, etc.
This is preliminary planning. Don’t stress, and instead gather inspiration. Get a feel for what you and your partner like, and choose your top five wedding themes. Classic ones include black tie, mid-century modern, and preppy glam. For some brides though, these do not sound appealing whatsoever, (which is why you are more than likely here!)
Here are some inspirational wedding boards that display unique wedding themes. Gather some inspiration, enjoy this process, and begin brainstorming. If you are crunched for time, read blogs such as this one and narrow down a top 5 list and go from there. Happy Planning!
Desert Themed Wedding
A trend right now is desert themed weddings. This is a great way to embrace the heat in the summer instead of dread it.
- Eucalyptus Favors
- Sand Decorations
- Papyrus Invitations
- Cacti and Evergreen Plants
- Dry Outdoor Venue
Gothic Themed Wedding
With the market expanding, it's easier to find Gothic decorations and dresses. Side note: photography during snowfall is a huge bonus).
- Indoor or Night Wedding
- Somber lighting (hues of pink, purple, and yellow)
- Dress Code (to match your theme)
- Candlelight (remember, some venues require no flame candles)
Resort Themed Wedding
Wait, are we on vacation or is this a wedding? This is a perfect theme for Destination Weddings and people who just like their RNR.
- Rented Spot on Beach
- Rented lawn chairs & tents
- Margaritas and Pina Coladas (can be non-alcoholic)
- Beach Towel Favors
- Booked Rooms for Guests
Lord of the Rings Themed Wedding
Calling all J.R. Tolken Fans! Have you dreamed of having a Lord of the Rings themed wedding but also want it to look classy? Here are your top 5!
- Outdoor or Indoor Venue with Trees & Greenery
- Dress Code (nothing over the top, just stick to certain colors)
- Hobbit Font Signage
- Moss Table Liners
- Beer On Tap
Harry Potter Themed Wedding
Everybody wants their wedding to be magical…but perhaps you want to take it a step further.
- Wand stemmed bouquet
- Golden snitch cake balls
- Striped scarves for the groomsmen
- Hanging candles (opt inn for flameless to be safe)
- Seating by houses (each guest gets put into a certain house and it correlates to their table)
Library Themed Wedding
Who says you have to leave the book at home? Bring it with you to your wedding!
- Tiered Book Aisle Ends
- Page garland
- (faux) Reading glasses as favors
- Book Pom-Poms
- Return card themed thank you cards
Festival Themed Wedding
Festivals are a lot of fun, which is why it makes a perfect theme for those who love to play carnival games, do a color run, and more!
- Color Bombs
- Carnival Games (i.e. ring toss)
- Popcorn on tap
- Striped Tents
- Overhead Bulb Lighting
Nautical Themed Wedding
Want a trip to the beach but just can’t manage that? Bring the beach theme to you on your wedding day!
- Rope instead of garland
- Anchor aisle runners with algae
- Sailboat or Lantern Centerpieces
- Venue that accentuates wood architecture
- Seashell vase fillers
Minimalist Themed Wedding
Sometimes less is better, and the less decorations you have to worry about the less stress you will have on and leading up to your wedding.
- Basic Wedding venue with no key features
- Plain white geometric cake
- Plain dress without beading or lace
- White & Green Mini Bouquets
- Silver Cutlery
Eclectic Themed Wedding
If you want a POP of color in your wedding (or maybe a few) then this theme is meant for you.
- Mix Matched Bright Bridesmaid dresses
- Mix matched bright drinking glasses
- Colorful streamers or banners
- Bright mix matched table runners
- Pop Color Rugs instead of an aisle runner
Willy Wonka Themed Wedding
Skip the diet on your wedding day!
- Candy Bar
- Lollipops in the Bouquet
- Cotton Candy Tree CenterpiecesCenterpieces
- Custom made Candy Cake
- Peppermint Favors
Spiderman Themed Wedding
Odds are, your partner chose this one, and you have to work with it. Don’t worry, your wedding will still be amazing!
- Revealing Cake (inside cake is red & black)
- Blue table runners
- Red and Black attire for Party
- Dark Blue Flower Bouquets
- Webbing (lace) wedding dress
Pirate Themed Wedding
Enamored by treasure chests filled with rubies and the carefree nature of a pirate?
- Chests with candy tokens (favors)
- Rum bottles with sand & rope
- ‘Torn’ Wedding Dress Style
- Lace Drapery
- Pirates Loot Wedding Cake
The Office Themed Wedding
For all major fans of the office, here is a wedding theme for you finally.
- Office Chairs for Party
- Potted Green Plants
- Cheesy posters
- “World Best Bride/Groom” mugs (instead of toasting glasses)
- Business Formal invitations
Theme Park Themed Wedding
To all thrill seekers, here is a wedding theme for ya!
- Outdoor Venue
- Rented Ride(s)
- Casual Catering (i.e. hot dogs, buffet style)
- Photo booths
- Large Guest List
Haunted House Themed Wedding
This is for those who want to acknowledge Halloween in your wedding, or perhaps just like the theme.
- Indoor Venue (i.e. castle)
- Cobwebs around bouquets
- Torn Table Cloths (cheesecloth would look great too)
- Dead Flowers
- Somber lighting (flameless candles)
Space Themed Wedding
For those that want a wedding out of this world…literally.
- Holographic Flowers
- USB star lighting (cascades stars onto walls and ceilings)
- Foggy & purple/pink illuminated dance floor
- DIY Drop Star Decorations
- Engraved Jars with "Star Dust" for guests
Star Wars Themed Wedding
- Lightsaber centerpieces
- Metallic Cutlery
- Clone Troopers at Receptions
- First Dance with LightSabers
- Soundtrack Throughout Wedding
- Lightsaber handle bouquets
50s Themed Wedding
If the diner and 57 Chevys are your thing, then opt in for this 50’s themed wedding! (ps. It might make some guests nostalgic)
- Rented 50's themed restaurant for reception
- 57' Chevy Transportation
- Dice Wedding Favors
- Milkshakes for Guests
- Dress Code for Guests
Renaissance Themed Wedding
Renaissance fairs are lovely and all…but what if you want them to be your wedding themed too?
- Dress code for guests
- Outdoor Venue or a Castle
- Burgundy Wedding Dress (to match the era)
- Covered Tents with Renaissance Games
- Personalized Wedding Favors
Oktoberfest Themed Wedding
Pass the beer! This wedding theme is perfect for the October month or Oktoberfest fans!
- Beer on Tap (preferrably German beer)
- Bavarian Music in background
- Live band with brass instruments
- Outdoor venue with tents
- Non-alcoholic cider
60s Themed Wedding
This one will have guests saying for years, “That was totally groovy.”
- 60's style hair for wedding ensemble & party
- Bright Florals everywhere
- "Groovy" invitations
- Venue with stained glass windows
- Corelle Dishwear
80s Themed Wedding
An 80s themed wedding? Gnarly dude…
- Lots of Hollographic Balloons
- Dance Floor with Disco Ball
- Dress Code for Guests
- Neon Lights
- Iconic 80s themed wedding dress (cue in the puffy sleeves!)
Great Gatsby Themed Wedding
Ever want to hop in a time traveling machine and head to the roaring 20s?
- Confetti galore!
- Flapper Dresses for Bridesmaids
- 1920's Ford as Transportation
- Headband for Reception (or incorporate it into your veil)
- Professional Makeup artist to complete your ensemble
Christmas Themed Wedding
Is your wedding near Christmas day? IF you want to embrace this season with a christmas theme, you can do so without being too gaudy.
- Pincone Centerpieces
- Gift wrapped wedding favors
- Season : Winter or the month of July
- Sugar Cookies Appetizers
- Drapery with Ornaments
Patriotic Themed Wedding
Happen to have a wedding on the Fourth of July? No worries! You can still be patriotic and classy.
- Sprinklers & fireworks for outdoors (if allowed with venue)
- Cupcakes with star sprinkles
- Red, White & Blue Table Runners
- American Flag Decorations
- Uniforms for groom & groomsmen (if they are/were in service)
Under the Sea Wedding Theme
Ariel fan? Or maybe you just love the ocean life. Either way, this wedding theme will not disappoint.
- Aquarium Venue
- Coral Centerpieces
- Blue lighting
- Seashell & Starfish Decorations
- Floating Tea Candles
Masquerade Themed Wedding
Masquerade balls don’t happen every day, in fact the odds of one popping up near you is next to zero. So why not host your own as a theme on your wedding day?
Mask Favors ( You can’t expect your guests to have spare masks laying around)
Velvet Table Liners
Paris Themed Wedding
Ahh Paris…la cité d’amour. Why not bring Paris to you and save by not having to spend money on airfare?
Un petit tour effeil
Baguettes avec Beurre (hor d'oeuvres)
Wine (can be non-alcoholic)
Wizard of Oz Themed Wedding
This beloved movie makes for a great wedding theme, when done right. The colors can be mistaken for Patriotic unless you casually add in some greens (Tower of Oz) and yellow! (Yellow brick road).
- Silver Shoes (the OG in the book)
- A Yellow aisle runner
- Outdoor Venue (preferably with trees)
Barbie themed wedding
You know that movie that is trending right now? What if you want a wedding to match the current vibe?!
- Pool for guests (can be for show)
- Dress Code for Guests
- Photo Booth (Barbie Themed)
- Pink Corvette Transportation
- Barbie Cake or a classic white cake with pink sugar quartz